There are tons of resources on the ‘net available to help you understand how Python on Debian works. Here is a list of some of them.
- Debian Python Documentation Project - This document.
- Python on the Debian wiki - This is the top level wiki page for all things Python on Debian.
- Python on Ubuntu wiki page - A place to look for differences between Debian and Ubuntu, which ideally is kept to a minimum.
- Style guide - A helpful wiki page for best practices in packaging most Python libraries for Debian. Opinionated!
- Debian Python Modules Team (DPMT) - The wiki page for the Debian team that packages Python libraries.
- Debian Applications Packaging Team (PAPT) - The wiki page for the Debian team that packages Python applications.
- Git packaging guide - How to best use git to maintain Python libraries within the DPMT.
- The debian-python mailing list - The best way to get in touch with people who care about Python on Debian.
- The #debian-python channel on the OFTC network for IRC - A great way to get in touch with Debian Pythonistas in real time.
- Legacy DPMT policy document